Monday 28 May 2012

The Campaign is Far From Over

Just to let everyone know, the part of the campaign that happened the day after the finale is not all we are doing to save this show.

You may have seen our conversation with Kyle Killen on Twitter, and many of you may have been a bit disheartened by it. Kyle Killen said to campaign for Jason Isaacs to win the Emmy, as the show is unlikely to be saved. However, we are not going to do this. We are going to continue to try and get 'Awake' saved. If it does get saved, I firmly believe that the publicity will practically win the Emmy for Jason.

The thing I believe we have done wrong in our campaign so far, is that we have not got directly in contact with NBC or other networks. We now have over 4,000 likes on Facebook, so that should be enough to make an impact, but we could still do with some more.

This Thursday (31.05.2012), we are going to campaign to get our show renewed. The campaign will be split into three parts:

Part One: Write to NBC or another network.

I know many of you would rather send emails, but letters will be much more effective. Emails can be easily filtered out, deleted, or ignored. However, letters have to be opened, and will get more attention. Letters also make it look like we've gone to more effort to do it.

What do I put in my letter? (Source: wikiHow)
If you want your letter to be read by a network executive, be brief, be real. Write an anecdote about how the show has become part of your life. The executives are TV fans, too. They'll understand, and you'll make your point.

What do I not put in my letter? (Source: wikiHow)
Writing something like "I will just die if I never see this show again" is a bit dramatic and a good way to get your letter dismissed as the rantings of a deranged viewer. You also don't want to make threats, like "If you don't put 'Awake' back on the air, I'll never watch your network again!"

Where could I send it?
NBC - 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112, United States.
ABC - 77 West 66th Street, New York, NY 10023, United States.
CBS - 530 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019, United States.
Fox - 10201 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064, United States.
AMC - 11 Penn Plaza, New York, NY 10001, United States.


Part Two: Write to or call a local or major TV news station.

If you want, aim small, try and contact your local news station. However, if you're feeling ambitious, you could aim for NBC News or another major news channel! Let them know all the effort us fans are putting in to get 'Awake' back on the air. If they do a news story on it, it could significantly increase the attention this campaign is getting, and may lead to NBC or another network picking 'Awake' up.


Part Three: Send penguin merchandise to NBC!

To participate in this part of the campaign, you can either buy:

A soft toy penguin: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-12122-Penguin-Plush/dp/B00272N8LM/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1338231112&sr=1-5


or


A copy of the children's book 'That's Not My Penguin': http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Penguin-Usborne-Touchy-Feely/dp/0746085508/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338233851&sr=1-1

If they are ordered from 'Amazon', they can be delivered straight to NBC's offices (address is above).

9 comments:

  1. "Awake" is the best new drama I have seen in years, and I can say that I veiwed every show in its first season. I made a point of stopping all other activites to concentrate on the storyline when the show aired, and if it goes to rerun, I will enjoy watching again. The finale did not tie up all loose ends, as has been suggested, so there are definitely storylines which could be developed. Please renew this show. Signed by one avid "Awake" fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Syfy network also?
    Got my letters already to mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the copy of the book is a great idea, but it should be done 'massive'. I mean, I think it's better to donate some $$ an then buy as much as we can in order to sent it at once, this could attract more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sending stay awake pills makes more sense than the penguin stuff and it's a lot cheaper:

    http://www.amazon.com/Equate-Compare-Alertness-Caffeine-Strength/dp/B0013U3RWY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awake has been the best show I have seen in a really long time. I have always made it a priority to see this whenever it was on. I have even watched the finale twice, and may even start the season over from the beginning soon (I have them all recorded). Most of my family has also watched this excellent show too, and LOVED IT. I even loved how they ended the season, the deeper meanings, the mystery, etc. This is just an example of EXCELLENT TV and I would be devastated if this was not picked up or renewed.
    And in your letters, try and tell them that the reason why the show might have failed in their eyes was because of poor advertising and scheduling. I mean, 99% of the people I talk to haven't even heard of this show, and also, I doubt most people go flipping around at 10 Thursday nights just to 'see what's on' either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do understand the need/want to focus on getting the show renewed but that means the statement "If it does get saved, I firmly believe that the publicity will practically win the Emmy for Jason."

    Emmy campaigns and submissions by the networks have already begun. The nominating ballots go out in a little over a week and have to be completed in 4 weeks. If the campaign results in renewal of Awake that will not happen in four weeks. The powers that be will have to come to a decision, the creators will have to be contacted, the cast will have to be contacted, contracts will have to be negotiatiated, drawn up and signed, and room on the schedule found. This cannot happen in four weeks.

    So saying "If it does get saved, I firmly believe that the publicity will practically win the Emmy for Jason". Is a bit of a stretch. That is not to say he won't win one if the show is renewed later or not all all even.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been many years that something like AWAKE has been on TV. Maybe the networks think that the average viewer has a low IQ and it is too complicated. Maybe the network execs have a low IQ not to build on such a fantastic concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, viewers proved to the NBC execs that they have a low IQ.. Awake received horrible ratings in the last half of the season, and would have been pulled off the air had it not been airing in the spring season with no new shows to fill its timeslot. I think we should be happy that we got a full season of Awake and should definitely campaign for an Emmy nod for Jason Isaacs, because come on, a network show getting a 0.7 in the 18-49 demos with 2 million viewers isn't exactly going to look attractive to other networks.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is an excellent concept. I have been viewing the Law & Order and the CSI series(es) for years, and I was so excited when something so different was offered. There was a buildup to the first episode but I don't recall anything after. Programs must be promoted. Please bring this program back.

      Delete